KMU Institute of Nursing Sciences is one of the new generations of Medical Universities in Pakistan, established through the Khyber Medical University Act 2006 (KPK Act No. 1 of 2007). The University is envisaged to grow as a modern Centre of excellence in the field of medical sciences and technology. Khyber Medical University is committed to the provision of intellectual leadership and development and emerges as a beacon of light for regional hubs in scientific, educational, and technological development in health care.
The KMU Institute of Nursing Sciences (INS) at Khyber Medical University was established in 2008-09 to promote nursing education in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. The INS is the first public sector institution in the province offering Bachelor’s degree programs in Nursing. Since its start, the Institution has been offering Master in Nursing in Sciences 2 years, Bachelor’s degree in Nursing including Post RN BScN (2 years), Generic BScN(4 years), and recently added a one-year degree program of Fast Track BScN for senior registered nurses. The vision of INS is to take the lead in nursing education in the province and compete with the demands of the nursing profession both nationally and internationally in today’s complex health care systems.
There are two programs offered by KMU for the field of nursing which are BS. Nursing and Post RN.
Distribution of Seats.
BS. Nursing (4 Years Program)
- Open merit: (KPK/FATA/PATA) 45 seats (05 male 40 Female) for
- Balochistan: 02 seats
- FATA-IN: Only 01 seat
- Foreign Reserved Seats: 02 seats
Post RN (2 years Program)
- Open merit (KP/FATA/PATA): 49 (7 seats for male and 42 seats for female applicants)
- FATA: 01 seat
Open merit seats are open for admission to applicants possessing a valid domicile certificate
for KP, FATA & PATA in both the programs.
This program is a four-year degree, it aims to equip students with capabilities to become professional nurses. After these four years, students will give their PNC license exam and become a registered nurses.
Admission will be open to candidates who have passed the Higher Secondary Certificate Examination (F.Sc. Pre-medical) or possess an equivalent qualification from a recognized board with a minimum of 50% marks.
The merit for admission will be determined as follows.
- Examination Test Weightage Adjusted marks obtained in F.Sc or Equivalent examination: 50%
- Entry Test marks: 40%
- Marks Obtained in S.S.C examination: 10%
Note: 10 marks will be deducted from F.Sc marks for each additional attempt.
Post RN BS. Nursing
Candidate applying for the admission shall fulfill the following criteria:
- Diploma in General Nursing (at least 2nd division)
- Diploma in Midwifery for female nurses (at least 2nd division)
- For male nurses one year diploma in any specialty registered with PNC, at least 2nd division (in lieu of Midwifery)
- Complete and documentary evidence of 02 years’ post specialty experience as an RN in any nationally recognized institute
Merit will be calculated as below:
- Cumulative percentage of all the diploma examinations including midwifery.
- Percentage marks in entry test.
- One mark per year of the professional experience in a recognized institution up to a maximum of 05 marks.
Fee Structure (BS Nursing & Post RN):
|Fee Structure||1st Semester||2nd Semester||3rd Semester||4th Semester||5th Semester||Sixth Semester||7th Semester||8th Semester|
There is one program offered by KMU for the graduates of the nursing program which is Masters In Nursing (MSN).
KMU Institute of Nursing Sciences has decided to start a 2 years MSN program from February 2014. This program is intended to provide opportunities to nursing professionals of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to improve their qualifications and expertise who would otherwise have had to travel outside the province.
- BSN (4 Years Generic) or BSc Post RN from a recognized university or DAI.
- Minimum 1- year experience for B.Sc Nursing post RN & Minimum 3-years (1-Year Internship and 2 years experience) for BSNursing 4years.
- CGPA of not less than 2.5.
- Valid PNC license.
- Both male and female can apply.
- Domicile open.
- Percentage of final professional examination to 40 marks.
- Percentage of Entrance test to 30 marks. Passing marks in the entry test will be at least 60%
- One mark per year of service in a recognized institution up to a maximum of 5 marks.
- Publication: : in HEC/PNC recognize journals maximum 5 marks
i. 1 st author: 1.0 marks per paper
ii. 2 nd & 3rd author: 0.5 marks per paper
iii. 4 th and onward author: 0.2 marks per paper
- Interview: 20 marks. (Any applicant who secures less than 50% marks in an interview shall be declared as unsuccessful).
Distribution Of Seats:
- Open Merit: 14 seats
- Balochistan: 02 seats
- FATA: 02 seats
- Foreign Reserved Seats: 02 seats
NOTE: If the seats allocated for candidates from Balochistan, FATA, and Foreign countries
applicants remain vacant, these vacancies will be converted to open merit seats.
|Fee Structure||1st Semester||2nd Semester||3rd Semester||4th Semester|
Financial Assistance and Scholarships:
The Khyber Medical University, Peshawar provides the following Financial Assistance to the students subject to the availability of funds:-
KMU Institute of Nursing Sciences FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE / NEED-BASED SCHOLARSHIP:
Khyber Medical University encourages its needy students to pursue their studies by providing
their financial assistance from the KMU endowment fund and its other resources.
KMU INS MERIT AWARDS:
To recognize merit and encourage academic competition among
students. The Khyber Medical University awards prizes for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd position holders.
HEC NEED-BASED SCHOLARSHIPS:
Higher Education Commission (HEC) aims to assist needy students by providing access to quality education through needs-based scholarships, providing an opportunity for talented, academically qualified students from remote and rural areas of Pakistan (FATA, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and Balochistan), who are financially disadvantaged and are incapable of meeting higher education costs in various disciplines.
USAID NEED-BASED SCHOLARSHIPS:
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) is committed to playing its role in the progress and development of the higher education sector and has offered Scholarships to financially disadvantaged students to study Medical and Allied Health Sciences. The scholarships will be offered to the students fulfilling their criteria and
subject to availability of funds.
PRIME MINISTER TUITION FEE REIMBURSEMENT SCHEME:
The Higher Education Commission, Islamabad support the educational sector of the following less developed areas of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and FATA under the Prime Minister Tuition Fee Reimbursement Scheme and pay a tuition fee of the students studying in Masters, M.Phil, and Ph.D. programs in all Public Sector Universities of Pakistan, subject to availability of funds.
How to apply?
Students looking to apply for nursing programs in KMU may apply through their online admissions portal, which can be found at http://kmuadmissions.pk/ and follow the web page’s instructions.